December 9, 2011
Photo credit: The Giant Vermin / flickr
We have been sifting through a mass of applications for the position of SPL Communications Manager: arriving at a shortlist was difficult. There are many talented people out there, but even they haven’t grasped some essentials in making an application. We thought it might be useful to offer a few pointers.
- try to restrict your covering letter to 1 or 2 pages and your CV to 2 pages
- show an understanding of the organisation’s aims and ethos
- connect your skills with its needs
- communicate a sense of your personality: lots of people claim to be competent, calm and team-players – what makes you stand out?
- repeat in the covering letter all the information in your CV
- give the impression of a cut-and-paste application e.g. leaving in the name of another organisation to which you’ve applied
- start off with your birth date and/or marital status – not relevant or required these days
- make spelling mistakes, especially when claiming that attention to detail is your strength!
Thank you to everyone who applied, though. We appreciate your interest!