Callum Macdonald Memorial Award shortlist announced
April 21, 2010
Judges in the 10th Callum Macdonald Memorial Award praised the standard of 41 pamphlets they have seen from across Scotland. The 7 shortlisted entries show ‘a spirit of adventure in every aspect’, said Tessa Ransford OBE, widow of literary publisher Callum Macdonald.
The winner and two runners-up will be announced at a ceremony at the National Library of Scotland on Wednesday 19 May. The shortlist is:
- And for that minute, by Leonard McDermid – published by Stichill Marigold Press, Kelso
- Arc O Mons, by Christie Williamson – Hansel Co-operative Press (Christine de Luca), Edinburgh
- One bird flying, by Lesley Harrison – Mariscat Press (Hamish Whyte), Edinburgh
- Part truths, by Michael Pedersen – Koo Press (Douglas W Gray), Aberdeen
- Skirlags, by Nalini Paul – Red Squirrel Press, Orkney
- Songs from a dying village, by Tom Pow – Pueblo Press, Dumfries
- Galilee to Gallicantu, by Anne B Murray – Terra Firma Press, Glasgow.
Hugh Bryden of Roncondra Press, who is one of the judges, won the competition last year. The award is supported by the Michael Marks Charitable Trust.
You can see Tom Pow’s in residency with his Dying Villages project and exhibition here at the SPL from tomorrow, Thursday 22 April, 12 – 4pm.