Job opportunity: Library assistant vacancy
May 28, 2010
LIBRARY ASSISTANT VACANCY AT THE SCOTTISH POETRY LIBRARY
The Scottish Poetry Library (Edinburgh) is seeking a person with excellent communication, IT and organisational skills to be a part of its imaginative, energetic and committed team.
This is an ideal entry position for an individual interested in gaining experience of working in an Information Services environment based in Edinburgh’s vibrant literary arts sector.
37 hr/wk (Tuesday-Saturday, including Thursday to 8 p.m.)
Initial contract, fixed 1 year (extendable)
Start date: August 2010
- positioned at the front desk, dealing with or redirecting calls and enquiries
- managing events bookings, events databases and website pages; assisting with event preparation
- managing library bookshop: keeping accurate cashbook, monitoring and fulfilling online sales, ordering sales stock and contributing to stock decisions
- manage circulation (new borrowers, issues, overdues, postal loans, requests, renewals)
- managing library databases
- assisting with reference enquiries
- new acquisitions processing
- assisting with catalogue maintenance (additions/deletions), and some item cataloguing
- creating displays and managing noticeboard
- contributing to the library’s Web 2.0 presence (blog and Twitter)
- shelving, stocktaking, and general shelf maintenance
- sundry administrative tasks, such as managing post, and ordering stationery
- Pleasant and confident in dealing with the public, in person and by phone
- Excellent IT skills
- Efficient, organised and attentive to detail
- A library and information services qualification, or currently working towards this
- Knowledge of, and enthusiasm for, Scottish literature, particularly poetry
- Previous bookshop experience
To find out more about the work of the Scottish Poetry Library, visit our websites www.spl.org.uk, www.readingroom.spl.org.uk ), our blog https://scottishpoetrylibrary.wordpress.com/, or find us on Twitter @byleaveswelive
To apply, please send a covering letter explaining why you are applying for the post, together with a CV, to Julie Johnstone, Librarian, Scottish Poetry Library, 5 Crichton’s Close, Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8DT t: 0131 557 2876 f: 0131 557 8393
e: email@example.com Applications by email welcomed.
Closing date: Thursday 17th June 2010
Interviews are likely to be held on either 29 or 30 June 2010.
Supported by the Scottish Arts Council. The Scottish Poetry Library is an Investor in People.